March 1, 2011

Degrees

Another Cubicology short. Lets talk about money and degrees. What is a bachelor’s degree really worth? Now I’m sure we’ve all seen those commercials and read the many articles that say if you have a degree you can increase your salary by some big percentage and be more apt to make so many more thousands of dollars in your lifetime.  We’ve also seen those Dateline and 20/20 specials that showcase those people who have received these very degrees but are making….WAIT FOR IT….WAIT FOR IT……PEANUTS!!!!! How does this really work? I have worked with several people who have obtained a bachelor’s degree and make less than $30,000 a year. I have worked for companies that require a bachelor’s degree but a person in high school or even a drop out can do the job.  I honestly believe that many companies do not do their due diligence and really ask themselves what is this job worth. Of course we all know that as much as the company likes for us to believe that they are looking out for us, all that really matters to them is their bottom line…that is no surprise. What company wouldn’t do that? Especially those private companies, anything that does not go into our peanut can goes directly into their personal bank accounts. A company that I resigned from actually had the audacity to require a degree but gave me work that didn’t require a brain…what sense does that make? Therein lies that lack of due diligence. Given that as a precedence if I have the bachelors, what would a masters degree really do for me? I know many people who opted against giving thousands of dollars to universities and became rather successful and are quite happy. Though proud of my degree as it was a personal accomplishment for me, I often think that a degree is overrated and says this about you: I gave away thousands of dollars for a piece of paper and a possibility; of course unless you're on scholarship. If that possibility does not become as tangible as that piece of paper and reap the fruit that you hoped it would reap, well at least you can say that you have that paper!! Who cares that you don’t have any money. Who needs money after all when you have a degree?!

Tatum

3 comments:

Daniella said...

WOW! Deep thoughts today!!
My opinion??? isn't worth the paper that my DEGREE-S are printed on.
This is a crazy world, You can't win for losing lately.
But, look at the bright side! Hello Kitty never went to college, and she is doing quite well!!! lol
xxDaniella

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Daniella, I hear ya girl lol!

Anita said...

People need a reason to hire or fire and use a degree as their measuring tool. A lot of lazy people in control don't want to take the time to figure out God-given talent.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis