November 28, 2011

Tissue Roll Wall Art

Who knew that there was more to tissue and paper towel rolls? I never knew until I began blogging that instead of trashing the tissue and paper towel rolls, I could have been putting them to good use! Not too long ago I asked my parents to begin saving their rolls for me. They said why? I said I'm not certain, but I think that I may be using them in a project for inexpensive art. Though my mom and dad began collecting them, my mom was like "I do not want any tissue roll art in my house" lol. Now, that sentence sounds completely sane to me. It would have been something that I would have said in the past too. Only, I am now enlightened. So after gathering the rolls I had a basket full:
Wall art was my goal but I didn't know exactly what I wanted so I  didn't do anything with them immediately, but weeks later I began to cut them up into small parts! They laid on the floor of our living room forever!! I later made temporary use of them by making Chris a cute happy birthday sign!

After that I began creating other random shapes:

It was so funny, Chris was like "wow, I didn't have a clue what you were attempting with those rolls but this is kind of cool". I could imagine his doubt and curiosity especially with the funny wreath attempt.  This is the second shape I came up with:
this second shape seemed to go on forever so I got rid of it and started again. Then this is what I came up with:
So finally confident on the design, I spray painted all of the parts espresso brown. I then took my hot glue gun and began to glue the parts together. Unfortunately once it was on the wall, I did not like it at all:
It looked way to floral to me. So, I took it apart and gathered another bunch of fun paper pieces and started again. This is what I came up with:
And this is what I'm sticking with...even though it looks a bit weird in this photo. I like the fact that it's way less floral, and that's good enough for me.
But this angle is so much better.

Tatum

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like! Don't worry, folks in my family thought I was absolutely crazy when I started my wall art. Once they saw it all I heard was "Toya can you make me some! I like your art", lol:)

Anita said...

I absolutely LOVE IT! You've given me something to do with my 11 year old daughter. Art is totally her thing.

The happy birthday sign is so special.

When are you writing your craft book? Seriously. :)

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Really cute!

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Really cute!

Comeca Jones said...

Too perfect Tatum I love the dining area as well.

Brandi said...

Hey Chica! Love your wall art! Just checking in to say hi! : ) Hope you're doing well!

Anita said...

Tatum, I think of you daily because I subscribed to the comments on this post and you get spam on it very often! lol

Anyway, I bought spray paint and I'm saving tissue rolls. One day, my daughter and I will get to work on her creation. :)

Happy New Year!

Tonya said...

now that is amazing! beautiful! and recycling at it's best!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis